- You know how your mother always told you to wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident? In college, that becomes wear non-embarrassing underwear in case you 'accidentally' have a drunken hook-up with that cutie down the hall! Plus, you don't want to be caught in the laundry room washing your old, ugly, holey, stained undies! (Although you probably won't be doing laundry that often, so be sure to bring a few extra pairs to get through til your next trip back home to Mom and Dad). You can't go wrong with the classics like Calvin Klein or a pair that sends a message... that you're STD-Free!
"Now 100% More Chlamydia Free"
- Speaking of which, almost every college student needs an abundance of condoms! (Even if you aren't having sex, your roommate/neighbor/friends might be... it's always better to have a condom and not need it, than need a condom and not have it). The Durex Condom Variety Pack includes 48 condoms and 3 vibrating rings.
- If you're lucky, you can persuade your parents to splurge and buy you a sweet, new laptop computer. But remember, it's not just for porn and myspace. You should use it for your classwork too.
- Never shared a bathroom before? Good luck! Our recommendations include... flip flops (trust us, you don't want to go barefoot in there), a shower tote, and of course, air freshener!
- Get your schedule organized with a new calendar so you never miss a party or a date... or you know... a test. We like these two:
Gil Elvgren Pin Up / Studs 'N Spurs (Calendars.com)
- I don't know if you've seen a dorm room lately, but it's pretty blah. So you need to decorate it!
- College athlete? Stock up on whatever you need now. Whether your sport of choice is baseball, golf, dance or even um... fishing? (Nah, scratch that last one. Fishing is not a sport and we really hope you aren't fishing in college).
- A friend of the ESC told us this story. Before leaving for college he was told to bring a small tool kit. He kept protesting "I don't need a tool kit in the dorms! I'm not building the room myself!" On the first day of school a girl from the hallway knocked on his door "does anyone have a screwdriver?" They ended up becoming very close friends. You just may find love over a hammer and nails!
- One universal rule about college food is that it sucks. (Except maybe at Skidmore. That was the best dining hall food we've ever had). It's not really easy to cook for yourself in the dorms, but if you want to avoid ordering pizza every night, it might be a good idea to pick up an electric tea kettle or crock pot. (Warning: These may or may not be allowed, depending on your school, so look into the rules first and don't get caught. Oh and if you happen to set your room on fire... well, you didn't get the idea from us okay?) You don't need tons of dishes, but you should have at least one bowl or mug for cooking up the ultimate college staple: ramen! Don't forget a few forks and spoons too and you might even want to invest in a mini-fridge.
- While we're on the subject of college eating... let's not forget college drinking. (Now of course, we would never condone underage drinking... but if you are going to drink, please do it responsibly, don't get caught in an unsafe situation and never ever drive while intoxicated.) Don't forget to stock up on aspirin for the next morning!
- Oh and I guess every college student needs... books. Maybe someday we'll make a list of books every college student should read... but not today. In the meantime though, you can check out these: